August 24, 2016

Printmaking: linoprint

I'm working on a series of linoprints for Perth and Kinross Creates, a group exhibition at Perth Museum and Art Gallery in October 2016. 
Artists were asked to submit proposals for work they wanted to show, preferably work based on the museum's collections. I decided to take a look at a series of photographs featuring Lost buildings of Perth, pictures of long demolished houses, taken between the 1880s and 1930s.
Apart from liking the traditional architecture of these buildings I am interested in how it would be possible to translate the often desolate mood in these images into linoprints with a similar feel.
To prepare I went to study the framed photographs at the museum, took my own pictures and made detailed sketches. Here is a page from my sketchbook:


The first finished linoprint shows the General Post Office at the corner of Tay Street/High Street in Perth, after a photograph from before 1891. 

Post Office on Tay Street. Linoprint, 2016.  30 x 21 cm

I've used clouds, shadows and a distorted perspective to add something morbid to this image of a classical public building.

1 comment:

George Rogers said...

Super! Really like all the tricky fine work around the windows, and that realistic shadow on the left side. Here is a picture that needs 1000 words.