May 28, 2010

Recycled furniture: Small cabinet

This more conventional looking small cupboard had been on death row in an open shed in western Canada for almost a decade. Encrusted with filth, of the doors only the hinges and some broken pieces left. But solid oak and the elegant curve of the top plate, together with those delicate original handles were speaking of better days, back in the 1930’s. 
So I decided to bring out the noble past of this piece. My furniture maker Alex Marcuzzi in North Vancouver, British Columbia, rebuilt the missing doors, and I chose a wood stain in a colour that nicely contrasts the brass handles. Also, I added a contemporary rendition of a lace doily - which made me find a title for this good old piece of furniture as well: Arsenic and Old Lace.


Acrylic paint, acrylic varnish. 1995.

No comments: