May 6, 2010

Fabric design: Hand weaving

This wall hanging goes way back - I think I wove it around 1988, after returning from Sweden where I had learned how to use a loom. Strictly speaking this isn't my own design -  I found it in a catalogue of the company I used to order weaving yarn from: Blomqvist/Nordiska Textil-garner AB in Överlida, Västergötland, Sweden.
This type of wall hanging is called gubbatäcke and it always shows rows of shapes like figures, flowers, ornaments. A gubbatäcke is woven in a technique called bunden rosengång. The close-ups show you details of the decor: Sankta Lucia, papparkaksgubbar and tomtar (welcome all you Swedish speakers!). The Christmas theme explains the name of this weave: Juletid, or Christmas time.

Wool, cotton. Rosengong binding. 1988.
Size: 46 x 124 cm

No comments: