February 9, 2010

Furniture design: Bedside table

This piece is called China Cabinet because my design incorporates elements that remind me of a stage prop of the Thirties trying to create a Far Eastern ambience. I found the little bedside or end table at a garage sale in the Deep Cove area of North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. The owner told me it was once bought by her mother-in-law and used in their household until it became too outdated. The table is in very good condition, it obviously was a respected piece of furniture.
The new knobs are special. They are handmade and they complement my design perfectly. I got them at this fantastic hardware store, Cantu hardware, back then in downtown Vancouver. 

Wood, acrylic paint, acrylic varnish, brass. 1998.
Size: 43 x 38 x 69 cm.

No comments: